There are many versions of the humble Caesar Salad but this tasty South-of-the-border style version I picked up in New Orleans will have your guests scraping their plates clean!
- 3/4 cup of pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 3/4 cup of your favourite Pukara Estate whole-egg mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Pukara Estate Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 can (110g) diced green chillies, well drained or fresh green chillies if in season
- 1/4 cup Pukara Estate Red Wine Liqueur Vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pukara Estate Pepper and Olive Smoked Salt Flakes
- 1 large head romaine or red romaine lettuce or 6 kale leaves, washed
- 1 1/2 cups of seasoned croutons (or lightly toast your own cubed sour dough or bâtard pieces until lightly browned)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Set aside 1/2 cup.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup seeds in a blender or food processor with all the other dressing ingredients, and process until coarsely chopped.
- Chill for at least 1 hour to allow the flavours to blend. Store in a glass container.
- In a salad bowl, combine all the ingredients for the salad with the 1/2 cup of toasted pumpkin seeds reserved from the dressing.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately . Serves 8.