Ever since I was a little girl I’ve always enjoyed a humble breakfast of baked beans on toast. It’s a healthy way to start your day and it’s packed full of protein.
I developed this gourmet baked beans recipe over the coals in my camp oven but you can easily replicate this dish at home.
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 level teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tbsps Pukara Estate caramelised balsamic vinegar
- 2 x 400g tins of cannelloni beans, drained from liquid
- 1 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 x small punnet of fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsps Glasseye Creek Wild Meat Sauce*
- 2 tbsps Pukara Estate chilli olive oil
- 4 thick slices of sour dough bread
- Pukara Estate chilli smoked salt flakes to taste
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
- Over coals preheat a camp oven to low heat (or your oven to 160°C). Add 2 tablespoons of chilli olive oil, garlic, onion and paprika to your camp oven (or a shallow oven proof pan if using conventional oven). Cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until soft and sticky, stirring regularly.
- Add the caramelised balsamic vinegar, beans, fresh and tinned tomatoes and wild meat sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Season with your desired amount of smoked chilli salt.
- Pop the lid on your camp oven and bake for 20 – 30 minutes (alternatively place your oven proof pan in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes).
- Toast the bread then serve the beans on toast.
- Top with freshly picked thyme leaves.
Handy Tip: When using a camp oven ensure your timber has stopped burning flames and you are left with the hot coals for cooking. To prevent the bottom of the oven from forming a saucy bean crust, levitate the camp oven over the coals for a more gentle heat.
*Glasseye Creek Wild Meat Sauce is available exclusively through Pukara Estate Soirées and specialty food stores in Australia.